Our Lady of Lourdes was founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1944.
Education began on this site on 12 September 1944 when two Sisters of Mercy welcomed 32 students into the Church building which was their temporary school – an arrangement which stayed in place for fourteen years!
The legacy of the Sisters of Mercy who blazed the trail here remains in place today as we continue to honour and respect the Mercy charism. They were women of Gospel faith. They believed that God, in whose image every person is created, is the source of human dignity. They understood that God is full of compassion and that no-one is unworthy of God’s love. They were convinced that if God’s wisdom and justice guided the leaders of a society, no person need be excluded from life-giving opportunities.